Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Front Porch


So this guy up there, he is pretty great if I do say so myself.  Like really, I knew that before we got married, but man I am so lucky to be married to such an awesome guy! He surprises me everyday with how awesome he is. (Don't worry, this won't be as gaggy as I'm making it sound like.) The other night we were driving home from Idaho Falls together and I was in a crappy mood.  I've been really hard on myself lately which has put me in a semi-permanent sour mood- poor Joe! I was whining on and on about how nothing goes my way and how I'm not good at anything... blah blah blah!!  Joe then proceeded to tell me a story from his mission- I almost tuned him out because I've heard his mission stories numerous times, but this time it was a new story so I perked up a little bit and I'm sure glad I did. 


Joe served in the Washington D.C. South mission, it was his first transfer and him and his companion had been meeting with a woman investigator for quite some time.  She was excited and eager to learn more about  the gospel and they were planning on committing her to being baptized.  They went to go meet with her and set a baptism date, but no such luck; she didn't want to meet with them anymore.  They were so discouraged and upset about being dropped that it severely put a damper on their attitudes.  (I am so guilty of letting the smallest most obscure things ruin my day, so I can only imagine how they felt). They complained the rest of the day about how lame it was that their investigator up and dropped them like that until Joe's companion threw a curve ball and said, "Once I step off this porch I am going to have a better day!"  Joe said he looked at his companion with a puzzled look and wondered how in the world you can just change your crap-ola mood into a good one?  Well they both did just that!  The only had positive things to say the rest of the day- they laughed all day long and had a great time.  It was all in their attitude, nothing more nothing less. 


I am often (as we all are) faced with all sorts of negativity on a daily basis.  Whether is a test that I didn't do too great on, or a conversation with a friend or family member that suddenly went south, our attitude makes up everything!  I am so grateful that Joe can continue to teach me this simple lesson, I definitely still have a lot of work to do but I know that it will come with time. 


As some of you may know, this weekend was quite eventful in the Leiser home.  On Saturday morning I accidentally locked us out of our apartment when we went to go run errands.  I did not keep a level head, unfortunately.  I did the exact opposite; I flipped out.  Joe has the ability to laugh at just about anything, and that's what he was doing. Me on the other hand, not even close to laughing.  Luckily, we had the keys to my car so we weren't out in the freezing cold, but I was still bugged.  I didn't have time for that nonsense! I had stuff I needed to do, inside our house! (visions of us having to sleep in my car kept running through my head. Drama, I know). We called a locksmith and in 15 minutes he was over and unlocked our door, not a big deal at all. 


Tonight, Joe decided my iphone needed to be updated.  He went ahead with the update and much to our dismay everything was wiped clean off my phone.  I will admit that I cried, just for a little bit, when he told me what happened. Lame I know, whatever.  The same thoughts ran through my head, "I don't have time to get all my contacts back", "I want all my pictures back!". I am still pretty bummed about it, but it's okay it really isn't a huge deal.  I was at the tipping point of having a total meltdown when Joe's mission story popped into my head.  I can totally control this and change my attitude, is it really worth getting mad and upset about? Nope, not at all. Joe felt terrible and apologized at least 100 hundred times, he even offered to buy me the new iphone 4 (might just have to take him up on that offer haha) I feel proud to say that your attitude really does change everything, somethings just aren't worth being upset and moody about. I am so grateful for the wonderful example that Joe is to me on a daily basis.  I feel bad, but he always has to be the level headed one in every situation- I'll work on being better at that! 


I am reminded of one of my favorite quotes that gives me the hope to push through any trial or hardship in my life, big or small: 


“Things work out, it isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out, don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. If you do your best, it will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in him, if we will pray to him, if we will live worthy of his blessings, he will hear our prayers.” 
― Gordon B. Hinckley

Love this man!!
So sweet 
He makes me so happy

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog!! Laurin, I loved that quote too! I find myself being somewhat of a Debbie-Downer. I'm going to try and remember that story! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I just adore all of your posts :) I need to remember this!

    ReplyDelete